A collection of links on personal reflections on life as a Theravada Buddhist monk.
Experiences on ordination and the monk’s life
- The Happy Monk Interview with Ajahn Amaro, USA
- Interview with Bhikkhu Bodhi Bhikkhu Bodhi relates his life and experiences
- Climbing to the Top of the Mountain Another interview with Bhikkhu Bodhi on his return to his native USA
- A Question of Skill Bhikkhu Thanissaro (Ajahn Geoff) talks about his life and work in an interview
- Being a Monk Another conversation with Ajahn Thannnisaro, this one a bit more humourous.
- Going Forth by Karunadhammo Bhikkhu, USA [pdf.file]
- A Ripple in a Pond An interview with Ajahn Sucitto,USA
- Alan’s ordination at Wat Luanf Por Sodh
- A radical enlargement of scope Ashin Ottama, a Czech monk and meditation teacher.
- My history as a Buddhist Bhikkhu Bodhidhamma, a meditation teacher from England
- Travel Note 13 by Bhikkhu Subhuti, aka as Jeremy Glick. The intrepid adventurer ordains in Myanmar (requires egroups subscription)
- Ajahn Sumedho Interviewed,one of the most respected and influential Western monks.
- From Drugs to Dharma Interview with Bhante Rahula, former hippy and drug pusher turned monk.
- Walking the World Interview with Ajahn Sundara, a French nun trained at Amaravati, UK.
- A Forest Monk. An interview with Ajahn Brahmavamso, the abbot of the Bodhiyana Forest Monastery, Perth, Australia
- Ajahn Passano – 30 years as a monk, an interview with the Canadian born abbot of a US monastery.
- Ajahn Amaro – 25 years as a monk, an interview with a British abbot of a US monastery.
- FAQ’s about a monk Malaysian monk, Ven Kumara answers common questions about ordination and gives a candid insight into his experiences prior to renouncing.
- Student to Monk. An Australian Psychology graduate is interviewed about his decision to ordain and train under Ajahn Brahmavamso.
- No Thai – no Farang. Three Thai monks tell why they ordained and talk about their experiences living with western monks at Wat Pah Nanachat. (pdf file)
- Life of a foreign nun in Thailand – Mae Chee Brigitte leaves her family in Germany to ordain in Thailand.
- From Conflict to Cure – Sister Bodhipala tells about her life from poverty through aristocracy, Khmer Rouge survivor and finally to the robes
- Why I became a monk (bhikkhuni) – Bhikkhuni Sudhamma. This article is rare as it relates the experience of a female monk/nun or bhikkhuni
- Saccavadi’s story – A Burmese bhikkhuni’s story of the opposition she faced when she ordained.
- Ordination as a Bhikkhu – Bhikkhu Cintita of the USA. Ordained in 2009 in Burma
- The Meditative Scholar – The German monk, Ven Analayo
- Autobiography of a Forest Monk, Venerable Ajahn Tate, a famous Thai forest monk
- The Autobiography of Phra Ajahn Lee, a famous Thai forest monk
- Getting off, A Portrait, on line book of a westerner’s experiences as a monk
- Biography of Bhikkhu Dr Anuruddha, a German monk in Vietnam during the war
- Call to Buddhist Monkhood by Sumana Samanera On line book on ordination and life as a monk
- Dhammaduta A chronicle of the mission of monks in bringing Dhamma to new lands
- The Monastic Community A detailed description of the monastic way of life
Procedure for Ordination as a monk